Tuesday, February 23, 2010

For when too much cayenne pepper jumps out of your bottle...

I learned something really handy yesterday!

I had lunch with my good friend, Sue Ellen and she fixed us this yummy vegetable and bean soup. She warned me though, that when adding cayenne pepper, more came out than she expected and the soup might be a bit spicy. It was! So she cut a lime in 1/2 and we each squeezed the juice into our soup. Aside from the lime juice tasting really good, it noticeably cut the heat. In addition, we had little orange wedges and when I nibbled on one of those after taking a bite, it cooled my mouth right down. Amazing!

So if you accidentally make a dish too spicy, and if the flavors will tolerate it, add a little citrus!

(P.S. If any of you know of other tricks for fixing a dish that is too spicy or too salty, will you comment and let me know?)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, new to your blog and really enjoying it. I have come across a trick for too salty...add some vinegar! I've done it and it works!

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your citrus trick is probably better as far as adding ingredients, but i do know that salt helps cut the spice, too. it was actually called the "margarita effect" in jonathan's science textbook in college. so keep some chips handy, or drink a margarita with salt (not sugar) on the rim...

    ReplyDelete