Friday, July 30, 2010

Garden Harvest



Yay!! We are finally harvesting in the garden and it is thrilling!

When I signed up for this whole gig, I was concerned that I would feel excited in the beginning but then struggle to sustain the commitment through the whole summer and fall. Sometimes I begin things with enthusiasm and then peeter out over time. This didn't happen with my garden though. I am finding myself feeling sad over the thought that I only have another month or two with it and then I will be garden-less over the WHOLE winter. Sigh...

But on a happier note, we are up to our eyeballs in lettuce and spinach and herbs. We harvested sugar snap peas and carrots this week too. I am guessing we will have green beans in a few weeks. We'll see what happens with the peppers and tomatoes. There are lots of green ones and I am full of angst and suspense over whether they will actually ripen before the weather turns cold! The onions are doing beautifully and we'll harvest them in September. Strawberry plants went crazy sending out runners, but never flowered. Maybe next year... Broccoli and brussels sprouts were officially conquered by the dreaded flea beetle. That garlic spray I told you about worked beautifully but we ran out and didn't make another batch for 3 days and in that short time period, those darn beetles came back with a vengeance and finished off the plants. So now we have more lettuce in that patch.

Here are a few pictures of our little harvest the other night:

Buttercrunch Lettuce:


Peas & Carrots (I just heard Forest Gump's voice in my head when I wrote that...):


Basil, Rosemary, Oregano, Cilantro & Chives:


My garden buddy and me:


Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. That is so exciting! I wanted so badly to plant some vegetables this summer...and I'm so thankful I didn't follow through. Our house got hit HARD with hail over the 4th of July. My poor fruit trees lost all their fruit. I would've been devastated if I'd have lost a bunch of veggies as well! I'm glad you've had a great time with your growing! Let's get together soon!

    ReplyDelete