Monday, September 5, 2011

Chicken, Apple, Herb Breakfast Sausage


Yippee!!!  I found another breakfast option!  And it's super tasty.  Here we go...

You might be wondering to yourself, "What is wrong with this girl?  Why would she take the trouble to make Chicken Apple Sausage when she can drive her little self right down to the store and just buy some??"

I have two responses to such a person.  First, this is just who I am.  I get a strange and inordinate amount of pleasure over making for myself what most people would just buy.  Its fun for me.  Its a creative outlet. Its an adventure.  Often its cheaper.  And, best of all, it makes me feel like a domestic queen!

Secondly, when it comes to sausage, they just put funky things in it.  Even the supposedly all-natural stuff has things in the ingredients list that I'm not familiar with.  And during this time when my poor little digestive system is feeling so fragile, sausage that I can make myself is a great option!

So if you happen to LOVE sausage, like I do and are up for a little adventure, give this recipe a try.  I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Chicken Apple Herb Breakfast Sausage
(From the FoodNetwork.com, passed along to me by my dear friend Tarah, who is always on the lookout for new recipes that I can eat.  Bless her!)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup grated Fuji or McIntosh apple
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
1/2 pound ground pork
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh sage
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon white pepper

- Heat olive oil in a pan.  Add onion and apple and sautee about 3 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for another minute.  Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix the meat, herbs, salt & pepper and cooled onion/apple mixture.  (I had to get in there with my hands to get it to mix well.  But I'm super tactile and didn't mind...)
- Form into patties and cook!  (Or, if you are me, crumble and cook in a pan with some veggies for a little sausage/veggie stir-fry breakfast)

My only thought on this, was that it might be good with just a hint of sweetness.  I might try adding a tablespoon or two of maple syrup or agave nectar to my next batch.

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment