Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream!

Yes, I did it!  I made a recipe for Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream and it is quite possibly better than the store-bought version.  I never considered that one could make this from scratch but it came up on a search I did for St. Patty's Day Desserts.  This is significantly cheaper than the store-bought version and might just become a staple in the Lingle Fridge.

There are a bazillion versions of this online, all slightly different.  So I'd recommend doing what I did:  Use the recipe below as a starting point and then tweak to your heart's content!

1 1/2 cups Irish Whiskey or Rum (or do 1/2 and 1/2)
1 cup Half & Half
1 14oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 Tbsp Chocolate Syrup (ie: Hershey's)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp instant espresso powder

Place all ingredients in a blender and puree on high speed for about 30 seconds.  Taste and then adjust to your preferences.

I thought the recipe above was really good, but mostly like sweet milk.  So...  I added another 1/2 cup of Rum, another Tbsp of Chocolate Syrup and then another Tbsp beyond that of Cocoa Powder.  And then about 2-3 more Tbsp of the instant espresso.  For me, this was about perfect!!

This made about 3 1/2 cups total and various website say it will last in the fridge for up to 3 months.  I doubt it will last that long at the Lingle Casa.

Happy Early St. Patrick's Day!

With Love,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment