Monday, March 8, 2010

Sweet & Savory Pork Roast

I am in CA for the week, visiting my sister and her family. At this very moment, my new nephew is making his debut appearance at a hospital in Riverside! I am at my sister's house, waiting for the 3 year-old cutie-pie niece to wake up so we can launch into a morning of Curious George, puzzles, a trip to the park and all kinds of fun with the slinky she discovered last night :)

With such excitement abounding, I am sure you are wondering, "Who cares about food??"

Well, since the cutie-pie is still asleep, I thought I would take a second to share the recipe from our dinner last night. It is one of my sister's favorites and since I am probably the "least" of the cooks in my family, that alone should make you pay attention. The recipe was originally for Beef Brisket but Larae and Jonathan like it with pork, either the shoulder or the butt. I laughed last night and thought I was being teased when Jonathan called what we ate a "pork butt." However, he said that is actually what it is called and furthermore, the butt supposedly tastes better than the shoulder. So, siting my blog as proof, you may all confidently approach your butcher and ask for pork butt (and if you can pull that off with a straight face, you are a stronger person than I!)

Sweet and Savory Pork Roast

3 - 3 1/2 lb pork roast
1 c. ketchup
1/4 c. grape or apricot jelly
1/2 envelope Lipton's Onion soup mix
1/2 tsp pepper

Place the roast in a crock-pot. (You may need to cut it in half)
Mix the sauce and pour over the top.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Shred meat and serve in juices.

My sister served this with mashed potatoes and those were wonderful for soaking up the yummy juices!

Despite the fact that this is a cooking/kitchen blog, I am giving you all fair warning that I might not be able to restrain myself from sneaking a picture or two of the new cutie-pie nephew on here. Since it will be his very first few days alive on the earth, I thought it might be excusable to brag about him a bit. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely! Can't wait to see a picture of Benjamin Riley. And boy does that pork roast sound yummy.
    I enjoyed the update. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Jenny--where are the pictures?! And I can't believe you're in Southern California--do you know Jill will be out here this weekend, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what do you mean you're the least of the cooks in this family? you're better than me!
    also the recipe makes great shredded pork sandwiches (w/ cheddar cheese), freezes well, and is mild enough to add other spices to the leftovers for other dishes such as soft tacos.

    ReplyDelete