Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Open-faced Fresh Blueberry Pie

In celebration of our first day of summer, I have yet another fruit pie recipe for you! (Brace yourselves, you might get a few of these... Before the summer is up, I still need to make my fresh cherry pie and my favorite peach pie).

One of my sweet co-workers, Lydia, mentioned that the blueberries at Costco are really good right now and that made me mention that I had an easy blueberry pie recipe. One thing led to another and in the end we struck a deal... She would provide the blueberries and I would make a pie.

This recipe is very similar to the strawberry pie, only a bit easier. You could use this concept for nearly any fruit pie if the fruit is juicy (think peaches, berries, etc as opposed to say apples or pears). Basically you just need to measure a cup of the fruit (whole if small like the blueberry or mashed up if larger like a strawberries or peaches), boil it with a little water, add in some sugar and cornstarch and poof, you have a yummy glaze that goes right over the fruit and crust and thickens in the fridge.

Yay for pie!!

Fresh Blueberry Pie

(My standard crust for fresh-fruit pie):

1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. oil
2 T. milk

- Mix flour, sugar & salt in a pie pan.
- Mix the oil and milk and then add to the flour mixture. Mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Press along the bottom and sides of a pie pan and do whatever you want to do to the edges to make them pretty.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely.

4-5 c. blueberries, washed and drained
2 T cornstarch, whisked together with 2 T water
1/2 - 3/4 c. sugar

- Separate out 1 c. of the softest blueberries, place them in a saucepan with 1/2 c. water and bring to a soft boil.
- Simmer water and blueberries for approximately 5-8 minutes until the berries have burst, the water has turned that incredibly lovely red/purple and the juices have just started to thicken.
- Add in the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add in the cornstarch/water mixture and stir.
- Simmer another 1-2 minutes until the liquid darkens slightly and starts to turn translucent.
- Remove from heat and immediately fold in the remaining blueberries.
- Plop this right into your pie shell and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Serve with Cool Whip and enjoy!

This is cheesey of me and reveals a glimpse to you all of my tactile/sensory nature, but I adore the color of these berries. The pie tasts fabulous but the color makes me happy deep inside. Eating this for breakfast makes me happy deep inside too. I highly recommend that you cast off all cultural taboos and shamelessly eat your pie for breakfast! It might make you happy deep inside too.

1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMMM! this is FABULOUS and you won't regret eating it for breakfast -- guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete