Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Spicing up your coffee...

I really enjoy a good flavored coffee. Now... my definition of a "good flavored coffee" is extremely narrow and pretty much leaves me splurging on a pound or two of Gloria Jeans coffee only once or twice a year and drinking it plain the rest of the time. Forgive me, but I will turn my nose up at the flavored coffees or creamers you can buy at the grocery store. But if you happen to live near a Gloria Jeans shop and ever had the urge to buy me coffee (wink wink), my favorites are the Amaretto, Pumpkin Pie, Mocha Merry-Mint and German Chocolate Cake!

That said, my mom and dad went away for a little romantic get-a-way this past weekend and stayed at a B&B in Leadville, CO. (And I must say on a side-note, Mom and Dad, I love that you still do this kind of thing after 33 years of marriage!). My mom sent my sister and I an email last night telling us about their trip and mentioning that the B&B had exceptional coffee. When they asked the hostess about it, she said that she sprinkles some cinnamon and vanilla over the grounds before making it.

Brilliant!

So this morning I gave a few hearty shakes of the cinnamon bottle over my coffee grounds and about a 1/2 tsp of vanilla. I might have slightly overdone it on the cinnamon, but the end result is still really nice! (In other words, don't get carried away in your enthusiasm like I did. Aim for delicate sprinkling as opposed to hearty shaking!)

And, of course, now my wheels are turning about what else I could try. Maybe some almond or mint extract? Or some pumpkin pie spice? Or even a little kahlua or coffee liqueur? Perhaps some cocoa powder?

I'm pretty excited to play around with this over the next week!! If any of you have done something similar or if you try it out, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment