Saturday, January 15, 2011

Quinoa Carrot Breakfast Cake




Serenity... The picture above is my view as I sit here typing but I don't think it quite captures how cozy and peaceful my apartment feels on this Saturday morning and how quiet and happy I feel to be here cuddled up on my couch with a glass of orange juice. But they say a picture is worth a thousand words so I thought I would give it a try!

I felt a little funky (or "tweaked" as Jeff would say) upon waking this morning and decided I needed something beyond a handful of nuts and a banana for breakfast. I actually had all of the ingredients on hand for Quinoa Carrot Breakfast Cake, which makes me feel like my gluten-free pantry might officially be called "well-stocked". I love the idea of naming something "breakfast cake". I mean, why not just come out and call it what it is? We eat essentially eat "cake" for breakfast all the time in the socially acceptable form of muffins, doughnuts, pastries, waffles, cinnamon rolls, etc. So breakfast cake just seems like a very direct and shameless way to say, "I know I should be eating my oatmeal and a grapefruit, but gosh darn it, it is Saturday morning and I had a long week and I want cake!"

So I had it. And it was wonderful, even without the gluten. I'll let the Gluten Free Goddess tell you how to make it. The only adjustments I made were to 1/2 the sugar amount (only used a 1/2 cup) and omit the raisins (because I think the bag I had in my pantry might have been upwards of two years old. Yikes!)

Quinoa Carrot Breakfast Cake

Wishing you some peace and quietness and a very happy Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. sounds yummy! my local sprouts doesn't carry sorghum flour anymore and i have yet to find quinoa flakes. don't know if i want to try and find acceptable substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I will have to try this. I love quinoa, but don't think they have flakes in the great northwest. True sadness.

    I emailed your sis a while ago to get your blog info. Very excited your family finally ended up in Colorado. (How many years did that take?) My entire family ended up in Washington completely at random.

    In any case, just wanted to say hi and glad life seems to be going your way.

    Love to you and your family,

    Erin (from anna borba)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, Wow!! I was shocked to see a note from you. Its been such a long time!! Thanks for saying 'hello.' Feel free to email me: jennyd8181@gmail.com. I'd love to hear more about how you are doing!

    ReplyDelete