Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Super Easy, Super Quick (Almost Cheating) Cinnamon Rolls



Does this picture make your mouth water? It makes mine water, but of course I can't eat these right now. However, I made them anyway yesterday for a breakfast potluck we had at work. I chose them because I've been wishing I could eat them and if I can't, the next best thing is to make them for people I care about and watch them be enjoyed that way. That was my thought, at least. What I forgot is that (literally) everyone in my office is either fasting or dieting right now. So pretty much most of us just sat and looked wistfully at the cinnamon rolls while we chose to eat healthier things. It was bonding of a different kind :)

These are not your typical yeast-bread cinnamon rolls. These are Bisquick, sour cream and milk and and have more of a biscuit consistency. And they take almost no time to throw together! I have sweet childhood memories of my Mom making these on Sunday mornings before church or on holiday mornings. I hope you have time to whip up a batch and enjoy!

Cinnamon Rolls

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
GENEROUSLY grease 12 muffin cups

3 cups Bisquick
3/4 cup sour cream
4 1/2 T milk
1 stick butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Powdered sugar
Vanilla extract
Milk

- Combine Bisquick, sour cream and milk and beat with 20 strokes. (I remember getting really intense about the "20" part when I would help my Mom make these when I was a kiddo. Don't worry too much about it. Just mix it as little as possible to get your ball of dough).
- Place ball of dough on a lightly floured surface and knead approximately 10 times.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out to a 12'x10' rectangle



- Spread dough with softened butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon



- Roll lengthwise and cut into 12 equal slices using a sharp knife or dental floss
- Place in muffin tin and brush with additional softened butter.



- Bake 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool approximately 15 minutes.
- For icing glaze, mix powdered sugar and milk until it has the desired consistency and then add a few drops of vanilla extract. Spoon over rolls and ENJOY!

1 comment: