Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cocoa Brownies w/ Browned Butter and Walnuts

Need I say more? I was hooked the moment I saw "browned butter" in the title! Despite the fact that I can't eat these right now, I've been aching to try them out for a couple weeks just to see if they could live up to such a decadent name. (I will confess that I actually think grocery store box brownies are pretty good and haven't made homemade ones in a long time!) I finally made a batch yesterday, of which my sweet, chocolate-loving boyfriend ate about 1/3 last night. He very nicely requested that the remainder of the batch be sent home with him and when I said "no", he resorted to guilt trips and pleading looks. I was a rock (mostly...) He is gearing up for his next marathon and doesn't need to eat a whole batch of brownies. The funny thing is, I took the rest of them to work today where he just happened to be spending the day working on our computers and he snuck in 3 more when I wasn't watching. I guess that means they turned out pretty good!

The recipe came from my February edition of Bon Appetit. I am new to this magazine, which was a Christmas gift. If this recipe is any indication, I look forward to trying out more of their stuff.

Here you go!

Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts

10 T unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used the Hershey's Special Dark cocoa)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp water
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs, chilled
1/3 cup plus 1 T flour
1 cup walnuts (I used pecans because it is what I had on hand)

- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a 8"x8" inch square baking pan or a 9" cake tin with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and continue cooking until butter stops foaming and starts to turn brown (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and immediately add to sugar, cocoa, water, vanilla and salt in a bowl. Stir to blend. (I will warn you... The lovely, rich chocolatey buttery aroma here will be slightly intoxicating!)
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one.
- Add flour and stir vigorously for 60 strokes.
- Stir in nuts and transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached. The recipe said this should take about 25 minutes. It took my oven closer to 35 minutes. Just keep an eye on it.
- Cool in pan on a rack. Lift foil from pan and cut into slices.

Because of the relatively small amount of flour in these, I am looking forward to attempting a gluten free version in a few months when I can eat sugar again. If they turn out good, I'll post an update.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment