Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Tip for Making Roast Chicken

Hey! I tried out a tip I heard about once last night on my roasted chicken and thought I'd share with you all. I read somewhere that cutting up a celery stalk and stuffing the inside of the chicken cavity with these 2-inch or so pieces will make your chicken really moist. Typically when I roast a chicken, I put liquid in the bottom of the roasting pan (usually some chicken broth and white wine) so that I can baste my little bird with it while cooking. Last night I skipped all basting and just put celery in the cavity and it turned out just as moist! I was pretty impressed! I am guessing all the moisture in the celery sort of steams the bird from the inside.

Roasted chickens are not all that hard, but in case you've never made one, here is what I do:

Rinse the bird and pat dry.
Remove any gizzards from the cavity. (Isn't "gizzard" an amazing word?!)
Drizzle with a little olive oil.
Sprinkle with your favorite seasonings.
Cut 1-2 stalks of celery into approximately 2-inch pieces and put these inside the body cavity.
Roast at 350 degrees until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.
Let rest for 10 minutes or so and carve.

If you don't have a meat thermometer, go buy one! They take all the guess work out of cooking meat. I don't know how I ever got by without one. (Thanks Larae and Jonathan!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment