Saturday, June 25, 2011

Almond Cake

I'm feeling rather sheepish as I sit down to write this... It has been almost 3 months since my last blog post! Shameful, I know...

But to any of you still out there reading, I have something scrumptious for you today: Almond Cake!

Don't think "almond" like chunky nuts inside of a cake. Think "almond" like Swedish butter cookies at Christmas-time and Celestial Seasonings Almond Sunset Tea. Think "almond" like a whole tablespoon of almond extract and one whole dreamy can of almond paste. YUMM!

My family used to joke about baking: When in doubt, add almond extract. We did (and I still do) add it to almost everything sweet. So if you happen to get a little giddy about this one particular flavor, then this cake is for you.

Without further ado, here you go:

Almond Cake
(feeling tempted to make the name fancier...)

Absolutely Addictive Awesome and Amazing Almond Cake
(much better...)

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
1 cup sour cream at room temp *(+ 2 T)
1 tsp baking soda *(3/4 tsp)
2 cups all purpose flour *(+2 tsp)
½ tsp sea salt
1 ½ cups sugar *(1 ¼ c.)
1 - 7oz tube ( 8oz can) almond paste, cut into small pieces
4 egg yolks, at room temp
1 tsp almond extract

*Parenthesis are for high altitude adjustments
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease spring-form pan; cover with waxed paper; grease waxed paper (YES, this step is completely necessary! Anything that uses almond paste gets sticky and it will stick to your pan)
Mix together sour cream and baking soda in a small bowl
Sift flour and salt into another bowl
In electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy
Add almond paste a little at a time and beat for 8 minutes
Beat in egg yolks one at a time and fully incorporate (it will look a little curdled - don’t worry)
Blend in almond extract and sour cream mixture
Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually incorporate flour mixture until just blended
Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly

Bake about 50 min - 1 hour until top springs back and edges have pulled away
Cool and dust with powdered sugar

OPTION: Top with toasted slivered almonds or strawberries or drizzle with chocolate

I made this recipe for a birthday party at work last week and served it with homemade strawberry sauce and whipped cream, almost like a strawberry shortcake. I will do a post on the strawberry sauce soon. It was almost good enough to eat by itself!

Enjoy your summer day!

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to being able to make and eat this. It sounds delicious!
    Don't feel ashamed of letting 3 months pass between posts... because then, well, I can't imagine the horror I'll have to feel at myself for letting almost 4 times that amount of time pass since the last time I posted. But we've started again, and we just go from here. And I love your writing--it's so fun! :-)
    Good news: I can eat eggs!!!
    ~Joni

    ReplyDelete