Monday, June 27, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Sauce

Deep down... I have this secret fantasy about one day cultivating my own berry bushes and annually morphing into an absolute berry pie-making, jam-canning, syrup-bottling domestic queen. And I would make my own little label and tie bows around cute canning jars and give these as gifts and feel like I contributed to making the world a sweeter place.

Maybe someday...

In the meantime, last week I went to King Soopers and bought 2 pints of strawberries and made homemade strawberry sauce to go on top of an Almond Birthday Cake. The sauce was a hit. It was also the only portion of the dessert that I could eat given my current food restrictions. So I poured a generous portion over some raspberry sorbet and enjoyed what was one of my first real desserts in 6 months!

This would be completely lovely over vanilla bean ice cream or mixed in with some plain yogurt. I put a little over some rice granola and banana with my breakfast last week. Or you could use it in place of jam. OR!!! An idea just came to me... You could mix it in with some lemonade and a little sparkling wine!

Here you go:

Homemade Strawberry Sauce

2 pints strawberries, roughly diced
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

- Place 2/3 of the cut up berries, the sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook until sugar dissolves, juices release and sauce begins to thicken slightly - about 10 minutes.
- Take 1/3 of this mixture and put it in a food processor or blender and puree.
- Mix the puree, remaining cooked berries and juice and fresh berries and chill.

Make about 2 1/2 cups of sauce. Will keep in the refrigerator for about a week.

1 comment:

  1. ooooh, we totally need to do that lemonade sometime! ;)

    ReplyDelete