Saturday, July 2, 2011

Jenny's Mint Mojitos

Have you ever grown mint? If you haven't, let me give you a tip... Make sure you have a plan for how to use it before you put it in! This stuff morphs from a fairly normal-looking little plant into a total planter-conquering beast in just a couple of weeks!

My "mint plan" consisted of hanging out with my man on his patio during the summer evenings and sipping mint mojitos. Sounds nice, right? (It was!)

This is my favorite summer cocktail. And lest you think I am more sophisticated than I actually am... I should probably confess that this is also the only summer cocktail that I know how to make. But I am hoping to make THIS soon and try my hand at some spiked strawberry lemonade! Or maybe I'll do peaches instead of berries and make a hard peach iced tea... Yum!



Here you go:

Jenny's Mint Mojitos
(adapted from several online versions)

Mint Simple Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup mint leaves

Bring water and sugar to a simmer, stirring until all sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat, add mint leaves and steap, covered for 30 minutes.
Strain out mint leaves and store syrup in a covered jar in the refrigerator





Mint Mojito (1 serving)
1 1/2 oz mint simple syrup
5-10 mint leaves
1 1/2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 - 2 oz rum (Increase this at your own risk... One of the first times I made these, I couldn't taste the rum and so decided to add more... I didn't feel tipsy but I walked into a wall trying to make it back inside from the porch! More than a little bit embarassing! Now I stick to a firm 2oz max.)
About 5-6 oz sparkling water or ginger ale
Crushed ice

In a glass, add the simple syrup, mint leaves, lime juice, rum and crushed ice. Muddle together with a spoon. Top off with sparkling water or ginger ale. (I always use ginger ale).

If possible, go find the man that you love and hang out on the patio and enjoy a summer evening sipping away!

No comments:

Post a Comment