Saturday, December 26, 2009

Food runs in my family...

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas holiday yesterday! Ours was lovely. It is interesting to me how much food can bond a group of people together. Everyone in my family enjoys cooking and everyone has a specialty. Yesterday we all did a little dance in and out of my mom's kitchen fixing up our favorite things to share. Even Bekah, my 3 year-old niece served me 5 plates of plastic frogs which alternately doubled as scrambled eggs, scrambled egg soup or oatmeal cookies with surprise chocolate chips inside! What can I say; it's in her genes!

I think I would have to attribute my love of cooking mostly to my mom though. She had me in the kitchen with her at a young age and always gave me freedom to experiment and try new things. Making the Jiffy muffin mix was one of my regular responsibilities. Mixing her meatloaf in the bowl with my bare hands was my favorite responsibility. Even now as an adult, spending a couple hours cooking with her in the kitchen is one of my favorite ways to spend a holiday!



Working on Sweet Potatoes, Wild Rice Stuffing & a new Pumpkin Walnut Pie recipe


My beautiful mom and me


A little cooking secret of mine: When chopping onions, if you put two matches in your mouth, striking end out, you won't cry. It's amazing!

1 comment:

  1. So much fun!!!! I have fond memories at your house growing up, we always cooked together. I wish I was there with you guys. :) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete