Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce

I had this dish for the first time a couple of years ago when it was prepared for me by my friend Kate, who is one of the best cooks I know. I think she got it from a Cooking Light Magazine. Since then this has become one of my "go-to" dishes either when Tilapia is on sale or when I am having company over and I need something quick and delicious. I had Jeff and his daughter Lauren over to my apartment for dinner last night. I felt like I was going out on a bit of a limb making a Thai dish for a 12 year old but she really liked it and so did Jeff. Don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list. This dish comes together in about 15 minutes!

Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce

1 tsp sesame oil, divided
2 tsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped green onions
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp red curry paste
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp low-sodium soy sauce (you can buy gluten-free soy sauce if needed)
1 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 - 14oz can light coconut milk
2 T fresh, chopped cilantro
4-5 Tilapia fillets
3 cups hot, cooked basmati rice
lime wedges

- Before you do anything with this recipe, you really must pre-chop your veggies, line up your little spice jars and have your teaspoons ready. I don't usually do all my recipe prep ahead of time but this sauce comes together really quickly and you're going to want to have everything handy.
- Preheat broiler
- Heat 1/2 tsp sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add red pepper and onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in curry powder, curry paste and cumin; cook 1 minute
- Add soy sauce, sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and coconut milk. Stir. Bring to just a simmer and then remove from heat.
- Brush fish with remaining 1/4 tsp of sesame oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of salt. Place fish on a baking sheet and broil 7 minutes.
- Serve fish with rice and sauce. Top with cilantro and fresh lime juice.

Most of you know by now that I really love pretty food! Along with being very tasty, this is a beautiful dish with lots of colors.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment