Sunday, January 31, 2010

Broiled Halibut with Lemon Dill Sauce

So my taste buds and I went on a little journey with dill weed this evening. At 7pm as I was getting ready to make dinner, I was firmly convinced that I liked dill. I'm not sure where I got that idea since, upon later reflection, I could not remember any significant dishes that I have eaten and enjoyed which highlighted dill. Nonetheless, I was sure I liked it. And based on that assurance, I chose a lemon dill sauce recipe to go with my broiled Hailbut steaks. I mixed the sauce and tasted it and didn't really love it, but couldn't figure out why. My general thought was, "It tastes funny." After a few more tastes and one good sniff of the dill jar, I decided the "funny" taste was nothing other than the dill. I added a little more mustard and lemon juice to the sauce and tasted again.
Better.
Another teaspoon of capers.
Better still.
Another shake of the white pepper.
Perfecto!

I am once again convinced that I like dill, just not too much of it!

Broiled Halibut with Lemon Dill Sauce

2-4 Halibut Steaks
olive oil

1/2 pint sour cream (I used the Tofutti non-dairy brand and it worked beautifully!)
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 tsp tsp white pepper
1/4 - 1/2 tsp dill weed
1/2 T fresh lemon juice
2 tsp capers
(*These are approximate quantities. If you try this, start with the smaller measurement and then adjust to taste)

Mix the sauce ingredients.
Brush the Halibut with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and broil on low for about 5 minutes per side.
Serve with sauce for dipping on the side.

This was my first time eating Halibut and I loved it! It is a white fish that flakes like salmon but is thicker and more dense. The flavor was mild, which I liked since I don't care for too much "fishy" taste. I definitely recommend it! In addition, the sauce above came out of one of my favorite cookbooks and was called a general fish sauce, so I think it would be a good compliment to just about any plain, broiled or grilled fish.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment