Monday, December 19, 2011

Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Veggies and Tomato Wine Sauce

I have finally found it!  After years of searching and testing, tonight I have discovered what will now be my wintertime "go-to" slow-cooker pot roast recipe.  And I promise, that I will be forever faithful, never wavering, for better or worse, till death do us part...


Okay, maybe not till death do us part.  I got a tiny bit carried away.  After all, I found another recipe that I want to try with cranberry sauce and chipotle peppers.  But I am telling you, I take my relationship with red meat seriously!  And wouldn't you think that a girl who loves to cooks should have an awesome pot roast that she can whip out on a snowy, blustery day like today?  So she can sit down after work, eat her pot roast and then, glowing with warmth and satisfaction, get cozy with The Christmas Carol and begin a present-wrapping extravaganza?   I would definitely think so.  But I've tried a variety of slow-cooker recipes over the years and just haven't found "the one", much to my disappointment.


Until today.


This came off a random website and I tweaked a few things and it was everything that a pot roast should be.  There is nothing earth-shattering in this list of ingredients.  But they work wonderfully together.  Hope you try it and love it like I did!


Slow Cooker Pot Roast w/ Veggies and Tomato Wine Sauce



2lb boneless beef chuck roast

2 teaspoons paprika ( use the smoked kind if you have it, otherwise normal is fine or you can skip it too)
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup red wine
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 pkg sliced mushrooms
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, cut in 1/2-inch slices
2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed (or regular potatoes)
3 cloves garlic, minced

- Rub roast with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and brown the roast on all sides.
- Place veggies in crock pot in this order: cubed sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, garlic
- Place browed roast on top of veggies.
- Mix broth, wine, vinegar, honey or brown sugar and tomato sauce together and pour over roast.
- Cook on high for 1 hour and then reduce to low for 7-9 hours more (or leave on high for an additional 3 ½ to 4 hours)
- Remove juices and simmer them in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk about a tablespoon of flour, cornstarch or tapioca starch (my favorite) in about 1/4 cup warm water and add this to the juices. Stir until thickened.
- Serve slices of the roast with the veggies and gravy.

Merry Christmas! May your holidays be filled with lots of love and warm, yummy food!

No comments:

Post a Comment